Friday, May 9, 2014

Pink Lemonade

It was a big surprise to know that hubby hasn't heard of how the juice of boiled kamote leaves will turn pink when calamansi juice is added to it. My sisters and I had this kind of juice all the time as kids. I also remember a segment about this in Batibot with Ate Sienna (okay, this kind of gives off my age -- if you don't know who ate Sienna is or if you don't know what Batibot is I'd be a little hurt).  Also, we often use those 2 ingredients together in sinigang and now I wonder why hubby hasn't bothered to ask why our sinigang soup is pink. My recent post on "sophisticated" ice-candy flavors also kind of got the attention of some of the faculty members at work. They were quite intrigued. Hmm... I assumed all along that everybody knows how to make "pink lemonade".   

Alonzo loved the calamansi and basil flavored ice candy that I made. To be honest, he didn't care much about the 2 other flavors (he didn't like the ginger taste with the pineapple, while the chopped mint leaves with the mango and cucumber kind of threw him off). Anyway, here's a simple step by step tutorial on how to make pink "lemonade".


Step 1: Boil a few kamote leaves in water

 

Step 2: Squeeze the juice of calamansi


Step 3: Pour kamote juice on to a pitcher and add cold water
Step 4: Add calamansi juice (watch closely as the liquid transforms into a lovely pink color)   
 

 (I took a video of this but it is taking forever to upload!)

Step 5: Sweeten with honey or sugar


 

Step 6: Add ice




 Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment